Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why are women so subservient, submissive and downtrodden in eastern cultures?

I'm originally from Bangladesh, a small country in South Asia. Actually, my parents are from there. I was born in Italy. But my roots are from there. I went there a month ago to see my sick granddad. And I am sickened by how the men their treat their women. They treat them like cattle and property. It is a highly patriarchal society. The women cook, clean and look after the children and don't work. 99% of women there are traditional housewives who bow down to their husbands and kiss their feet. My mom however, is a doctor. She is one of the very few women who work. But she still cooks, cleans, looks after my little brother and works. My dad is unemployed at the moment. He doesn't do anything. He just eats, sleeps and goes to the toilet. He occasionally helps my mom. And my parents live in Australia, which is a western society. Sometimes, I wish I could teach my dad a MAJOR lesson. But how? I honestly don't understand how my mom could bear all this. My dad is not that bossy unlike the other Bangladeshi men. He does listen to my mom and he DOES what my mom tells him to do. But he just has a know it all attitude that annoys me. Well, anyway this isn't about my family. It's about my auntie and other women who go through the pain. My auntie is among the 1% who go to work in Bangladesh. She told me her everyday scenario from first thing in the morning is waking up, making breakfast for husband and then apparently getting scolded and getting divorce threats from her husband for making a crap breakfast, then going to work in a crammed bus, and then taking bs from sexist boss. She told me her boss teases and makes fun of her for working because she is a female. Then, after a long & tiring day at work she goes home again to be yelled at by her husband. Her husband accuses her of coming home so late! WTF!!! This is SO messed up! I mean her husband eats FREE, doesn't help around the house at ALL, doesn't work and yet he yells at her for working late so that HE gets his daily bread! And my auntie is actually a housewife. She has to work because her husband either can't find a job or is TOO lazy to work! And the rest of the 99% of women don't even get the chance to work because if they work they APPARENTLY will become DISOBEDIENT to their husbands and fathers and become too smart. They stay home and lick their husbands feet and tolerate their BS. The average Bangladeshi woman is dependent on their male relatives their whole entire life, from birth till death. From birth till maturity she is dependent upon her father. After that she is married off & is therefore is dependent upon her husband. And when her husband is old and retires she is dependent upon her son (if she has one). In marriages, the girl has to go live in her husband's parents house where she serves her husband & in laws, especially her mother and father in law. After that she is pressured by husband & in-laws to give birth to a son. I have seen guys go as far as divorcing their wives and marrying new ones because their ex wives have failed to give birth to a son. The women have no say in public matters and society related issues. They are are usually told to shut up because they "don't know anything". I am horribly disgusted with this disgusting attitude towards women and relieved at the same time because I am lucky enough to not be in their shoes. I want to know why these women are so subjugated and oppressed. I really don't understand. Thank u to people who have decided to read my long and rather boring rant! It really feels good to let out all of that frustration!

No comments:

Post a Comment